Berries will appear later in the season after bloom cycles. Japanese honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica), which is native to Asia and hardy to U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 4a to 9b, contains these toxic compounds. Lonicera nitida is a species of flowering plant in the honeysuckle family.In English, it is sometimes given the common names box honeysuckle or Wilson's honeysuckle. But vines … However, some poisonous plant resources, like the University of Georgia, the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center, and Ohio State University, do confirm that certain honeysuckle varieties contain toxic compounds that can be harmful in large quantities. Toxic in large quantities. Instead, remove all plant parts from the mouth or hands and rinse with water. Flowers, leaves and unripe fruits are toxic. Hyacinth . Toxicity varies depending on the species, ranging from non- poisonous to mildly toxic. Although it's not considered to be very poisonous, the attractive red or other colored berries should be considered dangerous to small children -- symptoms listed include nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Eating a few honeysuckle berries will likely only result in a bit of stomach upset. Several varieties of honeysuckle berries are toxic, including the dwarf or fly honeysuckle and the Tartarian honeysuckle. The two major classes of them include non-native Asian types and native North American varieties. If symptoms of poisoning are present, do not induce vomiting. Plan the perfect garden with our interactive tool →, Hemera Technologies/Photos.com/Getty Images, Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center: Digestive Distress from Eating Lonicera Sempervirens, Ohio State University Extension: Bush Honeysuckle, University of Georgia Cooperative Extension: Poisonous Plants in the Landscape, Missouri Botanical Garden: Lonicera Xylosteum, Missouri Botanical Garden: Lonicera Maackii, Missouri Botanical Garden: Lonicera Morrowii, Missouri Botanical Garden: Lonicera Tatarica ‘Alba’. They thrive in mild … In the fall, the vine produces red or orange berries. In extreme cases, respiratory suppression, coma and death have been reported. While sheep, goats, and other livestock animals will eat toxic plants, chickens rarely do. While most honeysuckle species are not poisonous, some varieties contain glycosides in the stems or vines, and carotenoids in the berries. It also features red berries. Lonicera periclymenum. Vanderbilt University: Identifying Invasive Plants. Interesting Facts About the Honeysuckle Plant. However, some humans or animals may experience severe reactions to honeysuckle plants, and in these cases respiratory failure, convulsions or coma is possible. Both twining and bush forms feature large trusses of blooms in warm weather and are often fragrant. Advertisement. However, some varieties of honeysuckle are mildly toxic, and care should be taken when planting them in gardens where children or pets play. Leycesteria formosa is a robust and easily grown shrub native to China and Tibet, which attracts a wealth of wildlife. Hyacinthus spp Which Berries Are Poisonous. Eating the berries and sap of jessamines can cause digestive problems, including vomiting and diarrhoea, affecting the gastrointestinal tract and nervous system. The berries of all species of Ilex are reported to be poisonous if eaten in quantity (and that is the key here). While honeysuckle is not considered highly toxic, if you or a pet has ingested any part of poisonous varieties in large enough amounts, serious illness can occur. Every part of the honeysuckle plant is highly toxic to dogs. They’re a source of food for birds and don't appear to affect some wild animals, such as rodents and most horses. Asia natives Amur honeysuckle (Lonicera maackii), hardy to zones 3 through 8; and morrow honeysuckle (Lonicera morrowii), hardy to zones 4 through 8; Russia and Turkey native tatarian honeysuckle (Lonicera tatarica), which is hardy to zones 3 through 8; and European fly honeysuckle, also known as European mound (Lonicera xylosteum), hardy to zones 4 through 6, are all mildly poisonous as well.